Tuesday, December 16, 2008

<24 Hours

There are <24 hours until I'm on vacation.

Yesterday I was worried I'd be feeling sick (remember that swim meet?), but thankfully I was fine. The meet was good and bad. Good because I didn't have to swim the 200 free relay AND the 100 back (the relay is RIGHT before the back, so when I do both, I'm always exhausted for the back, which sucks), and I got to swim the backstroke in the 200 medley relay. Bad because we got KILLED. At the end of the meet, the coach gave a speech about how it's really important to actually come to practice over break, considering county champs are the first day back (January 5). I'll probably come to all of the practices, because I'm not going away, so I don't really have any excuse not to.

After I got home last night, I was exhausted, but I still had to: (1) study for finals, (2) write college essays, and (3) check my decision for MIT. The MIT decisions came out at 9:00pm yesterday; I had been thinking about it all day, but by 8:30 I realized I couldn't concentrate at ALL on any work, so I stopped.

I got deferred. The thing is, it's annoying to have to wait another few months, but- MIT was a "Far Reach" school for me; the general consensus (among my college counselor, my parents, and I) was that I'd probably be rejected outright. I may still rejected in March, but I might get accepted.

In French today, we watched the movie Ratatouille. The teacher was all, "But it's in English!" when the first words of dialogue were heard, but the movie takes place in Paris, so it's kind of French. Sort of. I love how the guy's name is Linguine. Linguine isn't my favorite kind of pasta (I prefer farfalle) but it's just such a cool name.

I came up with a semi-productive unproductive thing to do during free periods: making friendship bracelets. This summer, while working as a camp counselor, one of the activities I had to "teach" was making friendship bracelets (35 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 4 weeks). I've made a lot of bracelets while at home, in the car, on the plane, or anywhere boring. So yesterday, I realized that it would be a great idea to make friendship bracelets during free periods. See, most people would tell me that during free periods, I should be doing homework, or studying. But honestly, when I HAVE homework, I usually do it during free periods, sometimes, but not always, and I can't study for an exam at school (I just can't. It just doesn't work.). Normally, I'd go in to the art studio and make art, but there's no sense starting a piece RIGHT before break, so I figured that while being unproductive, I should at least attempt to be semi-productive, so, I'm making friendship bracelets.

I can't wait until vacation. Seriously, I love the holidays. I love wrapping gifts (I'm so good at wrapping gifts). I love making cookies (frosting them is the best part). I love not having school. I love seeing family. I love watching TV for several hours straight (come on, who HASN'T spent at least ONE vacation day doing nothing but watch TV?). I love actually having time to write (I haven't updated anything in forever). I love not having to worry about homework/tests/finals/projects. I love snow (I hope it snows). I love winter break.

No comments: