Tuesday, January 06, 2009

County Championships!

Yesterday was the County Championships for swimming.

On Saturday, I slept at my friend's house, and I fell asleep around 1am. On Sunday, I woke up at around 10:40am. Saturday night, I actually had a dream that I was running late for the meet.

I figured I might as well get to sleep early Sunday night, seeing as I had to wake up at 6am on Monday. So I turned off the lights at 10:40pm (which is early for me), only of course I didn't fall asleep until after 12am- because frankly, I just wasn't tired. And then, of course, I woke up again at 4:30am. I rolled around a bit, and got up to go to the bathroom. I fell in and out of sleep for the next hour, and finally woke up at 6am.

Waking up at 6am meant that I only had 15 minutes before I had to be out the door, so I had to rush as I ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, and got dressed.

I got to school at 6:45 (the time we were supposed to get there). The bus left school at 7. The bus ride wasn't too bad, except for the fact that the bagel I was eating, which I thought was plain, turned out to be a raisin bagel (and I HATE raisins!), which upset me. After we got to the meet at around 7:30 (yes, this is still AM), I got changed. I totally love the design of the the team suits this year:

They're made by Speedo (Speedo is the best, all of my team suits have been from Speedo- TYR is good too, but I think that Speedo is better quality), and the fabric is supposedly chlorine-resistant, which is pretty cool.

Anyways, warmups were at 8, only nobody on my team got in the pool till like 8:15. Warmup was fun (the pool is a good pool to swim in). The meet started at 9. My race wasn't until after 1:00pm. In between, I finished "New Moon" ("Twilight 2") and started "Eclipse" ("Twilight 3"). Yea, I read a LOT of pages! I do like these books, however, they are pretty dumb (expect to see a summary/parody of "New Moon" within a few days). While waiting for my race, I also did a lot of sitting around and being nervous. I was swimming the 100 yard backstroke (a.k.a. the 100 back), which isn't necessarily the hardest race, but I'm usually pretty tired by the end. Also, even though I warmed up, it had been so many hours since my warmup that I no longer felt "warmed up".

I went down to the pool deck and hung out behind the blocks 2 heats before my race. I put on my cap and goggles and stretched a little (actually, I mostly just shook out my arms and legs- I always do that before a race), while I watched the boys compete in the 200 yard freestyle relay. Before the heat, I just remember one of the male swimmers saying to the rest of his relay team, "Okay, just swim as fast as you fucking can."

Finally, it was time for my race- the first (slowest) heat of the girls 100 back. As many times as I've done the 100 back, this was my first time doing it at County Championships (in 9th grade, I swam the 50 yard freestyle; I didn't swim anything in 10th grade; and last year I also swam the 50 free). Based on my previous times for the 100 back, I was seeded to come in 2nd; I was in lane 5 (the pool had 8 lanes). The fastest people in a heat are always in the middle of the pool (in this case, lanes 4 and 5), and the slowest are always on the outside (in this case, lanes 1 and 7). I ended up coming in first place in my heat, which was totally awesome! I was pretty excited, although I was admittedly totally out of breath. After I got out of the pool, I showered and changed, and then read for awhile again.

Our girls team ended up placing 10th out of 12 teams, and our boys team placed 7th out of 12. We got back to school a little after 3:00pm, and by the time I got home at 3:45, I was tired, and at 7:00, after ballet, I was exhausted.

I turned the lights off at about 10:20 last night, which marks the second time in the past month that I have gone to bed before 11pm two nights in a row (the first time I did this was back in December when I was feeling sick).

No comments: